Thursday, May 17, 2012

My Story + Selling on Etsy


If you've read my "About Me" page you may already know a few basics about me and why I started selling on Etsy. I've always been a lover of the arts from a young age and have taken part in many activities - playing musical instruments, painting, drawing, sculpting with clay, photography, etc.

Last year I learned how to knit on a loom through a family member. I started with scarves. I made one after another and kept making them until I had a stockpile. In August 2011 I had so many handmade scarves that I decided to list them on Etsy. I read as much as could about having an Etsy shop and started out with very basic pictures and listings. Since then I've grown. I've learned new patterns, offered more items in my shop, taken better pictures, written better listings, and I'm still putting in the effort to improve.


Up to this point in time, I've made 20 sales on Etsy and 18 sales on my own, totaling 38 sales! To some that may not seem like much but to me that's huge! I never thought I'd be doing this or selling that many pieces. I'm excited to keep growing my shop and making more connections. I'm on my ninth month of selling on Etsy but it feels like I just started.

For anyone looking to start up their own shop, here is my advice - just dive in and do it! You don't have to know everything about it before you start; in fact, that would be impossible. You should have a basic plan and simple understanding of how everything works but it's the type of thing where you learn as you go. It won't be perfect at first, if ever. You just have to keep an open mind and be willing to improve.  I definitely still have a long way to go but I remain positive about the future of my shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis