Thursday, March 22, 2012

DIY: T-shirt Yarn



Making t-shirt yarn is a simple and easy project using materials you already have on hand. My last blog post featuring the knitted coasters I listed on my etsy shop were made with recycled t-shirt yarn. All you need is a flat surface, a t-shirt without side seams, and scissors.




This is the t-shirt I picked out 



For the first cuts you'll want to cut right above the bottom hem and right below the armpits or below any logo the shirt may have. The dotted lines in the picture show you where I'll be cutting.




Here you can see me making the cuts.





Now you should have a tubular piece like the one shown on the left. Take the bottom of that piece and fold it upwards leaving an inch at the top. This will be your margin. You won't cut this area until later (shown on right)




Now start making half-inch cuts from the bottom to the margin. You can make wider cuts for thicker yarn. Remember not to cut the margin. 



When you're done, you should have something that looks like this. Unfold and lay it flat so that you can see the whole margin, the space you didn't cut.



Here you can see my margin. I added the dotted lines to show how you'll make cuts. You'll want to make diagonal cuts starting from the outside so that you'll end up with one continuous strip in the end.






Here I'm making diagonal cuts.





When you're cuts are done you'll have one long strip of material.




Take one end and start pulling the material tight in short sections so that it stretches and curls to make the yarn. 
Keep doing this until you've stretched the whole length of the material.


Wind it into a ball and use it for a project!
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis