Monday, April 30, 2012

DIY Hemp Coasters



I made these coasters last December after finding a tutorial for them online. They required few supplies and I love how they turned out.


Supplies:


  1. Hemp cord
  2. Cork circles or cork sheet
  3. Glue gun (hot glue)
  4. Scissors
  5. Ribbon (optional)

I bought a sheet of cork because I couldn't find the pre-cut circles anywhere. To make circles I used a candle jar and a utility knife to cut the cork into the right size and shape. If you can find the cork circles this project will be easier and faster (and will look neater and more clean in the end).

Once I had my circles done, I took my hemp cord and started to glue it down in small sections starting from the outer edge of the circle and working my way to the middle. Once I got to the middle I snipped the cord with scissors and tucked that last piece in.

Since I had to cut the circles myself, the edges looked a little rough so I glued down some ribbon to make a more finished look. (I didn't get a picture of the completed coasters unfortunately)

This is a very simple project that can be completed in an afternoon. Make sure to cover your surface before starting this project. Take your time and lay the cord onto the cork neatly and tightly so that you don't see the glue or any gaps.

Happy Crafting!



Find me here
Facebook: Sparkleknit
Pinterest: SparkleKnit


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis